#!/usr/bin/env bash # hyphenates a list of greek words that are one transliterated word per line INPUT=$1 cat $INPUT \ | sed -E 's#([AEOaeo]\^i[/\\]*|[AEIOUaeou][iu][/\\]*|[AEIOUaeiou][\^]*[/\\]*)#-\1-#g' \ | sed 's#-+-#-#g' \ | sed -E 's#([BDGPTKLMNRSbdgptklmnrs])([BDGPTKLMNRSbdgptklmnrs])#-\1-\2-#g' \ | sed -E 's#([PTKtpk])[-]+([Ss])#-\1\2-#g' \ | sed -E 's#(-[PTKtpk][Hh])#-\1-#g' \ | sed -E 's#[-]+#-#g' \ | sed -E 's#-([SRNsrn][-]*)*$#\1#' \ | sed -E 's#([^aeiouAEIOU/\\^])-([aeiouAEIOU])#\1\2#g' \ | sed -E 's#-([BDGPTKbdgptk][Hh]*)-([rl])#-\1\2#g' \ | sed -E 's#-([BDGPTKLMNRSbdgptklmnrs][Hh]*)-#\1-#g' \ | sed 's#^-##g'The transliteration is done with My Transliterator tool
- Attributive: “ὁ ἐφεστηκὼς κίνδυνος τῇ πόλει” the danger impending over the State. the danger that has impended over the state
- Circumstantial - Temporal: “ἀκούσασι τοῖς στρατηγοῖς ταῦτα ἔδοξε τὸ στράτευμα συναγαγεῖν” on hearing this it seemed best to the generals to collect the troops. when they heard ..
- Circumstantial - Cause: “οἱ Κόλχοι, ἅτε ἐκπεπτωκότες τῶν οἰκιῶν, πολλοὶ ἦσαν ἁθρόοι” the Colchians, driven out of their houses, were now gathered. the Colchians, since they had been driven out of their houses, were now gathered.
“ἐθανατώθη ὡς ἀπειθῶν” he was condemned to death on the ground of disobedience, because he was disobedient
- Circumstantial - Purpose: “προπέμψαντες κήρυκα πόλεμον προεροῦντα” having sent a herald in advance to proclaim war, so that he would proclaim war
- Circumstantial - Concession: “πολλοὶ γὰρ ὄντες εὐγενεῖς εἰσιν κακοί” for many, albeit noble by birth, are ignoble, although they are noble
- Circumstantial - Condition: “σὺ δὲ κλύων εἴσει τάχα” but listening you shall soon know, but if you listen you shall soon know
- Ablative Absolute: “τοῦτο δὲ λέγοντος αὐτοῦ πτάρνυταί τις” with him saying this, someone sneezed, while he was saying this, someone sneezed
- Accusative Absolute: “δόξαν δὲ ταῦτα ἐκήρυξαν οὕτω ποιεῖν” Having decided this, they proclaimed that they should do so, after he decided this..
- Indirect Discourse: “μέμνημαι Κριτίᾳ τῷδε ξυνόντα σε” I remember you being in company with Critias here (ACI) I remember that you were in company with Critias here
- Supplementary Participle: verbs of beginning and ceasing and λανψάνω, φψάνω and τυγχάνω. “ἄριστα τυγχάνουσι πράξαντες” they happen to have fared the best ??
- Circumstantial - Manner: “παρήλαυνον τεταγμένοι” they marched past in order ??
- Circumstantial - Means: “λῃζόμενοι ξῶσι” they live by pillaging. ??